The piping material chart shows the matching ASTM materials for pipes, valves, fittings, flanges and stud bolts.
PIPING MATERIALS MATCH CHART
The piping ASTM materials match chart shows, for example, that an A106 Gr. A pipe matches with ASTM A234 buttweld fitting, with an ASTM A105 forged fitting, flange or valve, with an A216 WCB cast valve and with ASTM A193 B7 stud bolts.
The same logic applies to any other ASTM material grade listed in the table.
|PIPING MATERIALS||PIPES||BW FITTINGS||FORGINGS*||CAST VALVES||STUD BOLTS|
|High-Temperature Carbon Steel||A106 Gr A||A234 Gr WPA||A105||A216 Gr WCB||A193 Gr B7
A194 Gr 2H
|A106 Gr B/A53 Gr B/API 5L Gr. B||A234 Gr WPB||A105||A216 Gr WCB|
|A106 Gr C||A234 Gr WPC||A105||A216 Gr WCB|
|A335 Gr P1||A234 Gr WP1||A182 Gr F1||A217 Gr WC1||A193 Gr B7
A194 Gr 2H
|A335 Gr P11||A234 Gr WP11||A182 Gr F11||A217 Gr WC6|
|A335 Gr P12||A234 Gr WP12||A182 Gr F12||A217 Gr WC6|
|A335 Gr P22||A234 Gr WP22||A182 Gr F22||A217 Gr WC9|
|A335 Gr P5||A234 Gr WP5||A182 Gr F5||A217 Gr C5|
|A335 Gr P9||A234 Gr WP9||A182 Gr F9||A217 Gr C12|
|A 335 Gr P91||A234 Gr WP91||A182 Fr F91|
|A333 Gr 6||A420 Gr WPL6||A350 Gr LF2||A352 Gr LCB||A320 Gr L7
A194 Gr 7
|A333 Gr 3||A420 Gr WPL3||A350 Gr LF3||A352 Gr LC3|
|A312 Gr TP304||A403 Gr WP304||A182 Gr F304||A182 Gr F304||A193 Gr B8
A194 Gr 8
|A312 Gr TP316||A403 Gr WP316||A182 Gr F316||A182 Gr F316|
|A312 Gr TP321||A403 Gr WP321||A182 Gr F321||A182 Gr F321|
|A312 Gr TP347||A403 Gr WP347||A182 Gr F347||A182 Gr F347|
COMMON ASTM MATERIALS FOR PIPING
STEEL PIPE MATERIALS
- ASTM A53 (Gr. A and B): seamless and welded carbon steel pipes for medium-high temperature and structural application
- ASTM A106 (Gr. A and B): Specification for seamless carbon steel pipe for high-temperature service
- ASTM A333 (Gr 1-11): Specification for seamless and welded pipes for low-temperature service
- ASTM A335 (Gr. P1 to P92): Specification for seamless ferritic alloy-steel pipe for high-temperature service
- ASTM A312 (TP 304, 316, 321, 347, etc): Standard specification for seamless, straight-seam welded, and cold worked welded austenitic stainless steel pipe intended for high-temperature and general corrosive service
- ASTM A790: Specification for seamless duplex and super duplex pipes (UNS S32205/31803 and UNS S32750/32760)
CAST VALVE MATERIALS
Cast valves feature a cast steel outer body:
- ASTM A216 (WCA, WBC, WCC): Specification for carbon steel castings for valves, flanges, fittings, or other pressure-containing parts for high-temperature service and of the quality suitable for assembly with other castings or wrought steel parts by fusion welding
- ASTM A217: Specification for steel castings, martensitic stainless steel and alloys steel castings for valves, flanges, fittings, and other pressure-containing parts intended primarily for high-temperature and corrosive service.
- ASTM A351 (CF8, CF8M): Specification for steel castings for Valves, flanges, fittings, and other pressure-containing parts intended primarily for low-temperature service
FORGED PIPING MATERIALS
This category includes the common materials used for socket weld and threaded fittings ASME B16.11 (forged fittings), valves with forged bodies (example API 602 / BS 5351 and BS 5352 valves), and steel flanges ASME B16.5.
- ASTM A105: Specification for standards for forged carbon steel piping components, that is, flanges, fittings, Valves, and similar parts, for use in pressure systems at ambient and higher-temperature service conditions
- ASTM A182: This specification covers forged or rolled alloy and stainless steel pipe flanges, forged fittings, and Valves and parts for high-temperature service.
- ASTM A350: Specification for several grades of carbon and low alloy steel forged or ring-rolled flanges, forged fittings and Valves for low-temperature service.
The chemical composition, mechanical properties and selection criteria for forged piping materials are analyzed in detail on this article.
BUTTWELD FITTINGS MATERIALS
- ASTM A234 (WPA, WPB, WPC): Specification for wrought carbon steel and alloy steel fittings of seamless and welded construction.
- ASTM A420: Standard specification for piping fittings of wrought carbon steel and alloy steel for low-temperature service.
- ASTM A403: Standard specification for wrought austenitic stainless steel piping fittings.
STUD BOLTS MATERIALS
- ASTM A193: Standard specification for alloy and stainless steel stud bolts materials for pressure vessels, valves, flanges, and fittings for high temperature or high pressure service, or other special purpose applications.
- ASTM A320: Standard Specification for Alloy-Steel and Stainless Steel Bolting Materials for Low-Temperature Service.
- ASTM A194: Standard specification for hexagonal steel nuts materials to match A193 and A320 stud bolts (threaded rod)
This is well worth a read. You presented great insight and information. Thanks.
I’ve got a question.
Where do I get that chart ?? or Which is source information??
Can you reply me ???
Thanks for your information
A good comprehensive information and Quick References, but need more info.
Thanks, Rick. Have you seen the platform projectmaterials.com? We offer several services for people engaged in project business:
– Academy (150+ not-too technical articles about piping and steel, to know the basics)
– Stockists Directory (directory of 1000+ stockists of piping products that you can search and contact)
– RFQs (if you have an RFQ/MTO and need offers, you can simply post it on the platform and let suppliers come to you)
– Surplus (if you have surplus stock, you can post it and convert it into cash)
We help buyers and sellers of materials for projects! We hope you can pass this information to your friends and colleagues, to help us grow our community!
With our best regards, Projectmaterials Lugano Switzerland